February 28, 2011

Week of Crafts: Introducing Roald Dahl

My arm is not doing me any favors these days. Accordingly--I am sad to say--I will be taking a break from crafting and extended time on the computer. Instead, I will be watching copious amounts of television and beginning my odyssey through Roald Dahl's world of incredibly wonderful stories filled with fantastically marvelous, endearing, and disgusting characters.

I love Roald Dahl. I always have. As a kid I read nearly all of his children's books, listened to The Fantastic Mr. Fox on audiotape too many time to count, and fell in love with him through his non-autobiographies. Recently I was reminded of this favorite author of mine and promptly decided to read his oeuvre, every written word I can get my hands on.

I'm starting with his non-autobiographies of Boy and Going Solo. Then I'll move onto his works for children, adults, and everyone in between. I'm not quite sure if I'll stick with my initial plan to read through his works in chronological order (by publication date), starting with children's fiction and ending with short stories and adult fiction. Or maybe I'll just pick the titles willy nilly. Who knows. Who cares. I just know I'll be having a ton of fun either way.


I'll make sure to keep you up to date with my progress. Expect to see posts with pictures, memorable quotes, observations, and such.

p.s. I have to say that I'm a big fan of Quentin Blake. And I think I speak for a lot of people when I say that Blake's illustrations are nothing short of genius and 100% synonymous with Dahl's work. I have a feeling I'll be reading up on his life and work as well...

image sources: Roald Dahl, The Twits, The BFG, Fantastic Mr. Fox.

No comments:

Post a Comment