February 9, 2011

Iron Craft Challenge Wednesday


I am pleased to announce that I just submitted photos for the first ever Iron Craft Challenge Crafter Contest. The theme proposed by Kathy and Susi is "winter." I have to admit that my idea for my project didn't come easy; I had to think about it for a few days: what can I make that is quick, wintery, cute, and clever? And then it hit me: a great deal of the country is suffering through harsh winter weather, and we had a wicked cold snap here in the East Bay earlier this winter. Why not make warm and cozy winter wear...for parking meters?


I had seen a similar item on a blog a few months ago and I loved the idea of making a cozy for a parking meter. Besides, even parking meters need some love when it's cold outside. So I picked up my crochet hook and started hooking...in the crafty sense, of course.

I have to admit that I'm not 100% satisfied with the final product--it's a little small. But I think that it turned out pretty well considering that a) I didn't take any measurements, b) I improvised the circle granny sqaures, and c) this is the first time I've done anything like this.


I installed the cozy this morning while I walked to work. Some people stared, most walked right on by, a few stopped to see what I was doing. Three passersby offered a few words; coincidentally their comments were my favorite of the day.


"Why are you making it pretty?"
*a little stunned* "Why not?"

"Is this your project?"
"Uh, yeah, I guess."
"Oh cool! I love yarn bombing!"
"Aw, thanks..."

"Keepin' it warm!!!"
"That's the idea."


(The first one is my favorite!)






A lot of great projects have been submitted thus far. But I'm keeping my fingers crossed that enough people---even a handful would be great--like my submission enough to win me that sweet, sweet prize.

No comments:

Post a Comment