February 23, 2011

Iron Craft Challenge Wednesday

This week's Iron Craft Challenge theme: Hometown.

While thinking about something that
would best represent my hometown of Sacramento, Ca, I remembered that many folks lovingly call it "Sacra-tomato." Don't ask me why, they just do. (The only reason that I can think of is that tomatoes are produced in the area, and that "mento" sounds similar to "mato", thus Sacra-tomato.)

From my Sacra-tomato revelation everything fell into place quite quickly. I decided to use embroidery because it would be much quicker than trying to knit or crochet a tomato. As I was brainstorming the design of this project I came to the conclusion that stitching one lone tomato was not very exciting. And then it hit me: the bear. How great would it be to have a tomato riding a bear--much like the one represented on California's state flag--with a star in the background? Really freakin' awesome, I said to myself. And so off I went into the virtual world, looking for reference material on the Internet.

I was able to get everything--the researching, layout, and stitching--done in one sitting and I am quite pleased with it.




No comments:

Post a Comment