March 26, 2011

Farm Fresh Diary

Last night I dreamt of the farmers' market: I bought a pretzel from OctoberFeast and ate it while I meandered through the stalls, checking out all the great produce and enjoying the sunshine. Too bad I woke up to gray skies and and a heavy drizzle. But I got up anyways. It had been far too long since my last visit and I wanted to visit my favorite spots, even in the rain. So I pulled on my rain boots and bundled up and headed out into the elements. It actually wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. The drizzle wasn't too heavy and I discovered (again) that as long as one's head or feet don't get wet, then walking about in the rain without an umbrella isn't all that bad.

Understandably the market was not very busy, and although some vendors were absent, I found some great stuff:

Today

Carrots, celery, onions, garlic, parsley, thyme, and lemons. It's rainy, it's cold, it's great weather for making soup. But first, I need to make some chicken stock (hence the mirepoix and celery). I'm thinking about making 2 or 3 soups: butternut squash, chicken and rice, and maybe avgolemono. I've never made avgolemono but I absolutely love it and I'm feeling adventurous.

Breakfast


Almond danish (for Evan), pretzel croissant (for me), and 2 pretzels (just because). I ate one on the way home.

Lunch this week

3 bunches of kale. Tasty.

Let's make some soup.

No comments:

Post a Comment