October 22, 2011

Cactus Jungle

My brood of drought tolerant plants is growing. This morning I went to Cactus Jungle, a nursery in Berkeley. We've passed it many times and I've always been intrigued. We got there bright and early and as we stepped into this lush, green world nestled amongst warehouses and industrial lots, I couldn't help but think of this song.

Walking around Cactus Jungle was a lot of fun. They have lots of neat succulents and cacti, and even some herbs and veggie seedlings. Plus, the staff was super friendly. It took me a while, but I finally settled on one cactus and two succulents--each to compliment the three buddies the I already have.
I chose this guy because he looks super tough and would be a good contrast to the cactus that I already have. It was a little tricky replanting him into his new home...especially bare handed.

This light green beauty caught my eye because its different and has the potential to grow into a lovely cascade.
I couldn't pass up this blushing succulent. I'm excited to see how the coloring changes (or doesn't) as it grows.
 I think they make a lovely pair.
My first two are doing well. The smaller one is doing a lot better since we've moved. I think he likes the fresh air and morning sunshine.
Isn't she lovely? Evan and I went to Home Depot last weekend to pick up some bamboo stakes for the tomato plant. And I came home with this cactus, too. I just couldn't pass up this little bit of sunshine. 
I think the cacti look good together.
My brood of cacti and succulents...hanging out on the patio.

My tomato plant is producing baby 'maters like gangbusters. At last count there were 17.

The first tomato to bud is now the size of a large marble and other bunches have appeared. They just need to ripen! Thank goodness autumn in the Bay Area is hot and dry.

No comments:

Post a Comment