November 20, 2011

Tomatoes in November

Quite a while ago I planting some cherry tomato seeds. I watered them. I tended to the stalks. I whispered sweet nothings to the buds. And...nothing. After weeks of progress the buds remained green. I waited three weeks for the fruits of my labor to turn red. Finally, I gave up; I hate to admit it, but I did. Alas, I was too lazy to dispose of this tomato plant and so I left it on my patio.

Then, on Tuesday, as I looked out the window (procrastinating my departure for work), I noticed a fleck of yellow. I moved closer to get a better look and...couldn't believe it. The biggest tomato was beginning to blush. So I brought the plant inside, picked off all the dead branches, and gave it a drink. The leaves bounced back pretty quickly and more green tomatoes began following in the footsteps of that one, brave tomato (who was very tasty, by the by).

What's that hiding behind a leaf?

A ripe, red cherry tomato...in late November.

Evan and I split it for dessert on Friday night. It was juicy and super sweet.

Two days later: more tomatoes turning red.

This one is next.

Then these guys.



No comments:

Post a Comment