November 5, 2011

Cure for the Common Cold


I woke up this morning with a stuffy nose, headache, and sore throat. Yuck. Time for soup. Thankfully I had frozen veggies and chicken broth on standby. I started by sweating a handful of chopped onion and some garlic in a tab of butter. I added a sprinkling of kosher salt, fresh ground pepper, and dried thyme. Then in went a bunch of frozen mixed veggies and some uncooked rice, followed by chicken broth. 

As I waited for the mix to come to a boil, I rummaged through the fridge to see if there was anything else I could throw in. I found some left over lamb from earlier in the week, parsley, and a parmesan rind--which I've read adds a yummy silkiness to soups. I let everything simmer for a bit, discarded the softened rind, seasoned to taste, and served myself a bowl. 

Time to eat and get well.

No comments:

Post a Comment